Candle care + wick trimming
- Burn your candle for at least 3-4 hours on the first use. It is important to allow the candle to melt all the way to the edge of the glass. This prevents tunneling and wax build up on the sides of the vessel.
- Trim the candle wick before each use to ¼” (5mm). Please do this every time before you light and start enjoying your candle. If the wick is too long, it burns too hot and reduces the longevity of your candle and how clean it burns. It only takes a couple of seconds to snip it off with a wick trimmer or even some nail clippers!
- Always keep a burning candle away from kids + pets + drafts + flammable objects. It is never a good idea to leave a candle unattended while burning. Flame too high? Burning too hot? Blow it out + let it cool down + trim wick + relight!
How long will the candle last?
- Our 13oz candles will last around 75-80+ hours and are suited for larger, open areas in your home or office.
- Our 6oz candles will last 25-40+ hours and are perfect for bathrooms, smaller bedrooms + your cozy reading nook.
Can I reuse my container?
ABSOLUTELY! This beautiful vessel is reusable. HOW?
- paint brushes
- dog treats
- remote control
- toothbrush + toothpaste
- tea bags or coffee bean container
- drink packets
- candy jar
- cotton swabs + so much more!
Want a lid for your 13oz vessel? Shop here
Please be kind, reuse + keep these out of our landfills.
How to clean out your vessel to reuse?
Is this hard to do? No way! First, put the vessel in the freezer for an hour or two. Take a kitchen knife and gently push in, on all four sides next to the wick. This should crack the wax, making it easy to remove from container. Secondly, remove the wick holder, I use a pair of pliers and wiggle! Lastly, clean the vessel out with rubbing alcohol. Just put a splash of rubbing alcohol, let soak for 1-2 minutes, then wipe out with a paper towel. The alcohol also helps dissolve the sticker. Hey, now it's ready to be upcycled and live its next purposeful life.
What are scent notes?
A candle, like perfume, has three types of notes. These are the different scent layers that make up the luxurious smell, a top note, a middle or heart note, and a base note. A top note introduces you to the fragrance when the candle is unlit or first begins to burn.
Then, the middle or heart notes are a little more complex. They are often the star of the show, as they help balance + enhance the top and bottom notes. So, after your top note has faded a little, the heart notes will take over.
Lastly, you have the heavier base note, which is longer lasting. These scents start to unveil themselves after the candle has been lit and burned to a full melt pool (top layer melted all the way to the edge of the vessel). It can take up to an hour or more for you to start getting the base notes. So, how will your candle smell? It will really be a mix of the heart and base notes.
Why Coco Apricot Wax?
Our most important factor when choosing our wax was “Is it environmentally conscious?” + “Is it clean burning?” So, after much research we chose this amazing blend, coconut apricot wax. As it met all our criteria, clean burning + biodegradable + renewable. This luxurious coco apricot wax is a vegan blend of coconut, natural apricot, and soy. It has a beautiful creamy white appearance + provides an excellent fragrance throw (cold and hot) + gives an evenness to the burn. Olivia’s Tree chose this wax because on top of everything else it is gluten free, toxin free, paraben free, and phthalate free. The entire blend utilizes only FDA approved waxes. You will have peace of mind while burning this luxurious candle in your home or office.
Is your wax that important?
We say, YES! There are a lot of candles to choose from and most have a wax blend, commonly a soy-paraffin blend. Paraffin is used by many candle makers and companies due to its low cost and its cold + hot throw (how it smells before + after it’s lit). So, what is paraffin wax? It is a wax derived from coal, oil shale or petroleum. This was a concern for Olivia’s Tree as we weren’t sure of the long-term effects of this type of wax. We wanted to sell a clean product, and this was why we decided to use a biodegradable + vegan + non-toxic wax. It may be more expensive but, in the end, we feel it’s worth it.
Why did we choose wooden wicks?
The most important reason is they are eco-friendly + clean burning. We chose everything to be environmentally conscious. These wicks come from FSC certified wood, handcrafted + made in the USA. However, if we’re being honest, we love the natural crackling sound. It’s relaxing!